Re: 8.2.6 > 8.3 blows up - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Karl Denninger
Subject Re: 8.2.6 > 8.3 blows up
Date
Re: 8.2.6 > 8.3 blows up  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-general
Scott Marlowe wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 2, 2008 at 1:41 PM, Karl Denninger <karl@denninger.net> wrote:
>
>> Ugh.
>>
>>  I am attempting to move from 8.2.6 to 8.3, and have run into a major
>>  problem.
>>
>>  The build goes fine, the install goes fine, the pg_dumpall goes fine.
>>
>>  However, the reload does not.  I do the initdb and then during the
>>  reload I get thousands of errors, apparently from table data which is
>>  perfectly ok in the tables, but pukes up a hairball when attempted to be
>>  reloaded.
>>

> So what error message?

It looks like the problem had to do with the tsearch2 module that I have
in use in a number of my databases, and which had propagated into
template1, which meant that new creates had it in there.

If its in a database in a dump it trashes the restore for everything
beyond that point when the restore is unable to find it in the new database.

I went through the entire catalog and pulled the old contrib/tesearch2
module in for those databases where it was present before, and it now
appears to be restoring ok.....

I'm not quite clear what I have to do in terms of if/when I can drop the
old tsearch config stuff and for obvious reasons (like not running into
this in the future) I'd like to. Can I just run the "untsearch2" script
against those databases or will that destroy the search functionality?
Are there changes necessary in the SQL code (the documentation implies
not unless I'm doing "odd" things)

Thanks in advance...

Karl Denninger (karl@denninger.net)
http://www.denninger.net