Re: win32: how to backup (dump does not work) - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: win32: how to backup (dump does not work)
Date
List pgsql-general
fkater@googlemail.com wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I urgently need a way to simply backup the database's data on win32
> (e.g. the 'data' directory).
>
> As discussed earlier I can't use dump/dumpall since my data needs
> persistent tableoids which, however, are not the same after a restore.
>
> AFAIK stopping the server, zipping data dir, and restarting the server
> creates a zip file which is not easily portable to other computers due
> to some ntfs file system permission problems.

What exactly would those problems be? If you can shut your server down
like this, that's absolutely the easiest way to get it done. It should
be portable across all win32 machines at least - and if that's not
enough, pg_dump really is your only option.

//Magnus