Re: dynamic crosstab - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Joe Conway
Subject Re: dynamic crosstab
Date
Re: dynamic crosstab
Re: dynamic crosstab
List pgsql-general
Erik Jones wrote:
> See how postgres handles filling the NULLs for you?  What you'd really
> want to do with this would be to define some functions for setting and
> getting a person's answers to a given question or set of questions so
> that you could implement some kind of data integrity with regards to
> question ids and indices into the answers arrays such as in the example
> above you'd want to prevent an entry at index 7 when there is no entry
> in the questions table for question_id=7.

It occurs to me that it shouldn't be terribly difficult to make an
alternate version of crosstab() that returns an array rather than tuples
(back when crosstab() was first written, Postgres didn't support NULL
array elements). Is this worth considering for 8.4?

Joe