Re: dynamic crosstab - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Balázs Klein
Subject Re: dynamic crosstab
Date
List pgsql-general
Joe wrote
> It occurs to me that it shouldn't be terribly difficult to make an
> alternate version of crosstab() that returns an array rather than tuples
> (back when crosstab() was first written, Postgres didn't support NULL
> array elements). Is this worth considering for 8.4?

I think there should be a generic way in Postgres to return from an EAV model. Although I have no evidence on that I
keepthinking that the db must be more effective at that than the application would be.

I was hoping that now with PG supporting plan invalidation it would be possible to return a recordset. If there is no
genericway to return a recordset than being able to return an array is much better than nothing.

B.