Re: performance issues on windows with 8.3.0? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: performance issues on windows with 8.3.0?
Date
List pgsql-general
Dan Armbrust wrote:
> Are there any known regression issues WRT performance on the 8.3.0.1
> binary build for windows?
>
> And I mean serious -multiple orders of magnitude- performance issues
> running simple queries on a small database...
>
> A little more background.  I built 8.3.0 on Cent OS 5 today.  Started
> using it with a server application that I have to do some
> benchmarking.  Java application connecting via jdbc to Postgres on
> localhost.  Everything looked great.  Perhaps even faster than 8.2 -
> but I don't have the benchmarks to say for sure yet.
>
> Then, I wanted to test what is usually our fastest performing setup -
> with the database on a second system.  So, I installed the new 8.3 on
> a Windows 2003 system, started it up, created my database, pointed my
> java app to it and everything seemed good.
>
> Then I put a load on it - and my server thru-put went from about 1500
> messages per second on the linux-localhost combination to 30 on the
> remote windows postgres installation.
>
> I will be investigating this much more completely first thing tomorrow
> - but I figured I'd ask to see if there was something obvious first...

How's the performance compared to 8.2 on the same machine? From what
you're saying, I take it you already have that there?

If not, you need to look at a whole lot of more things. It *will* be
slower on windows than on linux, and significantly so, but it shouldn't
be several orders of magnitude. But you need to narrow down the testing
a bit - for example, one of your tests runs over the network and one
runs locally, so that could be where your issues is. It could also be
that your harddrives under linux is lying about fsync, whereas the
windows version will by default write through such write caches even if
they exist. There are many different things that could be the reason here.

//Magnus