Re: How to cope with low disk space - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Michiel Holtkamp
Subject Re: How to cope with low disk space
Date
List pgsql-general
On Feb 14, 2008, at 19:24 , Shane Ambler wrote:
> Is postgresql the only thing using the disk space/partition?

There are some other things on the partition, but they don't change
in size.

> Have you considered running a cron job to parse df output to
> "trigger" a
> delete when disk usage gets to a set threshold? and thus also account
> for any unexpected non-postgresql disk usage.

Yes, but this is not ideal:

1) sometimes we want a lot of data, just not that the disk runs out
of free space
2) if you trigger on a disk space threshold only, you'll have to do a
full vacuum and that gives problem in our application (because of
locking and possibly long vacuum-times).

> I would also think you would want to consider the size of the old
> stored
> data when deciding how many records to delete.

Good thinking. Luckily, our data is almost always of the same size so
it has little influence in this case.

Thanks for your input!
Michiel