Re: User password encryption using a stronger hashing function? - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Liu, Jianli (Jianli)
Subject Re: User password encryption using a stronger hashing function?
Date
List pgsql-admin

No one has responded to my questions. I am wondering if anyone can point me to where in postgresql source code I can further look into the issue and explore the possibility of this change?  Thanks.

Sent: Thursday, December 15, 2011 4:53 PM
To: pgsql-admin@postgresql.org
Subject: [ADMIN] User password encryption using a stronger hashing function?

By default, postgresql encrypts user passwords using the MD5 hashing function. They can be seen as "md5....." in the rolpassword column of the pg_authid table. Is there a mechanism that allows us to change this default behavior such that postgresql can encrypt the passwords stored in the pg_authid table using a stronger hashing function such as SHA1?

Postgresql conf file has a property "ssl_ciphers" in which you can specify a list of ciphers. But they are only used on ssl connections and have no impact on the ciphers used in user password encryption. Is this correct?