Re: Linux/PostgreSQL scalability issue - problem with 8 cores - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Jakub Ouhrabka
Subject Re: Linux/PostgreSQL scalability issue - problem with 8 cores
Date
Re: Linux/PostgreSQL scalability issue - problem with 8 cores
List pgsql-performance
Hi Tom,

 > I can think of three things that might be producing this:

we've found it: TRUNCATE

We'll try to eliminate use of TRUNCATE and the periodical spikes should
go off. There will still be possibility of spikes because of database
creation etc - we'll try to handle this by issuing trivial commands from
idle backeds and in longer run to decrease the number of
backends/databases running. This is the way to go, right?

One more question: is it ok to do mass regexp update of pg_proc.prosrc
changing TRUNCATEs to DELETEs? Anything we should be aware of? Sure
we'll do our own testing but in case you see any obvious downsides...

Many thanks for your guidance!

Kuba