Re: Overblogging etc - Mailing list pgsql-www

From Joshua D. Drake
Subject Re: Overblogging etc
Date
List pgsql-www
Bruce Momjian wrote:
>>> I strongly object to this. We should encourage *more* blogging, not less.
>> I agree with more blogging, but I think we must avoid clogging.
>>
>> I've not seen anyone write an interesting blog that comes out almost
>> daily, so I don't think once per week is restrictive on the types of
>> content we really want to see. It can be a guideline.
>
> The reason I have so many blog entries is that I just started a Postgres
> blog and had some pent-up items to post about.

My only gripe with your entries Bruce is that there are four blog
entries being collapsed into one. I would have preferred it if you had
four real blog entries one at a time.

> That said, I do feel bad some very signficant blog entries were pushed
> off the main page by mine.  I fact I was surprised at how complex many
> blog entries were.

No you shouldn't feel bad at all. Blogs are whatever you want them to
be. You can spout off about religion, dogs, pets, women, politics...
whatever. Just make sure you pick your category appropriately so only
PostgreSQL content shows up on the front page.

> One idea would to have the Postgres home page list only the most recent
> blog for each individual, meaning only my most recent entry would
> appear.  So the rule would be the five most recent blog entries, with no
> blogger duplicated.

An interesting idea but I don't think it is necessary.

> Blogs basically are for subscribing so you see them all.  The list on
> the home page I think is more for visibility of the blog's presence,
> rather than to convey a useful way to read the blog entries.

Exactly. It is another way to promote our community. It goes along with
the mailing lists, events and IRC etc...

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake