Re: Overblogging etc - Mailing list pgsql-www

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: Overblogging etc
Date
Re: Overblogging etc  ("Joshua D. Drake" <jd@commandprompt.com>)
Re: Overblogging etc  (Devrim GÜNDÜZ <devrim@CommandPrompt.com>)
Re: Overblogging etc  (Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net>)
List pgsql-www
Simon Riggs wrote:
> > > I suggest we allow 1 blog per week per person and that the blogs must be
> > > about something constructive, not just a one liner about getting out of
> > > the bath or other trivial subjects. Since we have only a few blog slots
> > > it's a shame when long useful blogs are replaced by trivial ones.
> >
> > I strongly object to this. We should encourage *more* blogging, not less.
>
> I agree with more blogging, but I think we must avoid clogging.
>
> I've not seen anyone write an interesting blog that comes out almost
> daily, so I don't think once per week is restrictive on the types of
> content we really want to see. It can be a guideline.

The reason I have so many blog entries is that I just started a Postgres
blog and had some pent-up items to post about.

As far as long entries, you wil not see them from me.  I am usually
brief, even in email.  And I probably will be pretty frequent.

That said, I do feel bad some very signficant blog entries were pushed
off the main page by mine.  I fact I was surprised at how complex many
blog entries were.

I did talk to Devrim about appropriate blog content.

One idea would to have the Postgres home page list only the most recent
blog for each individual, meaning only my most recent entry would
appear.  So the rule would be the five most recent blog entries, with no
blogger duplicated.

Blogs basically are for subscribing so you see them all.  The list on
the home page I think is more for visibility of the blog's presence,
rather than to convey a useful way to read the blog entries.

http://postgres.enterprisedb.com