Re: BUG #3850: Incompatibility among pg_dump / pg_restore. - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Stefan Kaltenbrunner
Subject Re: BUG #3850: Incompatibility among pg_dump / pg_restore.
Date
List pgsql-bugs
Diego Spano wrote:

> Bug reference:      3850
> Logged by:          Diego Spano
> Email address:      djspano@jus.gov.ar
> PostgreSQL version: 8.1.9
> Operating system:   Debian Etch 4.0
> Details:
>
> I have two servers running Debian Etch 4.0 and Postgres 8.1.9. and want to
> copy Database_A from server1 to server2. It is suppossed that
> pg_dump/pg_restore should have no problems.
>
> In server1 run pg_dump, then run pg_restore on server2, but the database
> can´t be restored because pg_restore want to restore table rows that have
> foreign keys before table that have the primary keys.
>
> "pg_restore: ERROR:  the new record for relation «archivo» violates
> restriction. Check "subfk_archivo_seremp".
>
> And records are not added obviously.
>
> I think that pg_dump should export database tablas according to constraints
> and relations, don´t?

pg_dump by default will dump table structure first than data and apply
constraints only at the very end so this is usually a "can't happen"
error. If you are nevertheless getting errors like this you are likely
using a data-only dump or seperate schema/data dumps which obviously
cannot provide those guarantees.

regards

Stefan