Re: [HACKERS] Unworkable column delimiter characters for COPY - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Unworkable column delimiter characters for COPY
Date
List pgsql-patches

Tom Lane wrote:
> I see that we disallow the CSV quote character from appearing in the
> null_print string, but not the escape character.  Is this
> correct/sensible?

Yes, because:
. nulls are never quoted
. fields containing the quote char must be quoted
. the escape char is only magical inside quoted fields

> If it is correct, maybe the delimiter could also
> match the escape character?

Yes, probably. Crazy, but I think it's workable. I'll take that test
out, and just make sure that the delimiter is different from the quote.

cheers

andrew