Re: Heavy write activity on first vacuum of fresh TOAST data - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Kevin Grittner
Subject Re: Heavy write activity on first vacuum of fresh TOAST data
Date
List pgsql-performance
<1197582010.4255.1912.camel@ebony.site>, Simon Riggs <simon@2ndquadrant.com>
wrote:
>> <1197569564.4255.1855.camel@ebony.site>, Simon Riggs <simon@2ndquadrant.com>
>> wrote:
>> >
>> > They're not.
>>
>> So one would expect a write-intensive initial vacuum after a
>> PITR-style recovery?
>
> Very perceptive. I was just thinking about that myself. An interesting
> issue when running with full_page_writes off.
>
>> What impact would lack of the hint bits have until a vacuum?
>
> Vacuum isn't important here. Its the first idiot to read the data that
> gets hit.

OK, I want to understand this well enough to recognize it when I
see it.  (As always, I appreciate the helpful answers here.)

Assuming no data is toasted, after a bulk INSERT or COPY into the
database, a subsequent SELECT COUNT(*) would figure out the correct
hint bits and rewrite all rows during execution of the SELECT
statement?

The same is true following a PITR-style recovery?

Toasted data would not be rewritten unless accessed (whether that
be for selection criteria, sort order, results, or whatever)?

A database VACUUM is going to run into every page not previously
accessed and make all hint bits correct?

Would a VACUUM FREEZE of a bulk-loaded table do one write for both
the hint bits and the transaction ID?  (I know that hackers
generally prefer that people leave the transaction IDs unfrozen
for a long time to aid in debugging problems, but that seems less
useful in a large table which has just been bulk-loaded, true?)

-Kevin