ODBC, access, and joins - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Hart
Subject ODBC, access, and joins
Date
Re: ODBC, access, and joins  (Richard Broersma Jr <rabroersma@yahoo.com>)
List pgsql-general
Hi again everybody. I've got kind of a weird one today (the more
complicated my db gets, the stranger the questions). I've built a data
mine backend to replace our access data mine (eww, I know), but we'd
like to still be able to use access to get to the tables, and write
queries/reports/etc. against them. I've set up the ODBC driver (the
"official" driver, from http://pgfoundry.org/projects/psqlodbc/) and it
connects and pulls the data out just fine, considerably quicker than
access natively. The problem I'm having is that anything defined as a
"text" datatype in postgres gets converted to a "memo" datatype in
access, and when we attempt to perform a join query on that field access
starts complaining about not being able to join on a field with a "memo"
type. I think this might be a bug in the odbc driver, but I want to
check my bases. Has anybody else run into this issue, or heard anything
about the odbc driver having problems with datatypes in access? There's
a couple other weird conversions, like boolean to text (with a number
value) but I've been able to manage most of them.

Also, I did try ODBCng after I read a couple reports on the performance
numbers, but I found it didn't have the same ldap support the official
one did, and that's a pretty big necessity for us. Any help would be
much appreciated. TIA

Thomas R. Hart II
tomhart@coopfed.org