Re: Coordinating database user accounts with active directory - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Raymond O'Donnell
Subject Re: Coordinating database user accounts with active directory
Date
List pgsql-general
On 21/11/2007 22:32, Richard Huxton wrote:
> The tricky bit (I'd guess) is to trigger a script when a new user is
> created on the Windows side of things. There seem to be people

Yeah... I was thinking in terms of doing it just once, which is what I
do - it's for an educational institution, meaning it has to be done just
once a year, so I do it by hand when all the students are registered.

> I don't know of a hook on Windows that fires on the user-creation event.
> Would a cron-job + samba tools do, or does it need to be up + running
> the same instant as the Windows-user?

I don't either. Maybe a cron job that checks for new AD users via LDAP
and creates the database user when one is found? I don't know whether
you can tell when a user is created from LDAP....if you can, then new
users are those created since the last time you checked; and if not,
then you have to store all the users created thus far so as to tell
who's new, so it gets a little messy.

Just thinking out loud....

Ray.

rod@iol.ie