Re: [hibernate-team] PostgreSQLDialect - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: [hibernate-team] PostgreSQLDialect
Date
List pgsql-hackers

Diego Pires Plentz wrote:
> I'm thinking the same thing. We could let PostgreSQLDialect to do full
> support to Postgre 7.x and extend it to support the new
> features/functions in Postgre 8.x. Btw, to do that, one thing that we
> must do is identify what functions are new/still avaiable in 8.x. That
> approach is good too, because we can get different behaviors in each
> version of the database.

Major releases of Postgres are labeled n.n. Thus, each of 7.3, 7.4, 8.0,
8.1 and 8.2 has its own set of supported functions.

Moreover, Postgres is extensible, so ideally Hibernate should look at
providing a way of querying a database server to get a list of supported
function signatures.

Not sure how you could handle user defined types automatically, though.
Probably not.

cheers

andrew