Re: Need for PostgreSQL demand? - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Ned Lilly
Subject Re: Need for PostgreSQL demand?
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On 11/6/2007 3:28 AM Kevin Hunter wrote:

> - University-style ERP (Banner, PeopleSoft, ...)
>   * AFAIK no Postgres based version exists
>
> - Web/distributed Financial applications
>   * LedgerSMB is great, and we use it, but it needs a fair amount work
>     as well

I'd be horribly remiss if I didn't mention our own PostBooks project, a fully open source cousin of the OpenMFG ERP
Suite- http://sf.net/projects/postbooks.  All the business logic is in pl/pgsql functions, triggers, and such, and it
scaleswonderfully on the back of the underlying Postgres database.  The primary client is a GUI built with Qt, but
therehave been a number of other front-ends built, including web portals and wireless devices.

Not only does it have more big-time ERP functionality than any other open source project (see www.xtuple.com/comparison
forsome functional detail), but it even has a cool Postgres-inspired name!  What more could you want in a Postgres
killerapp? ;-)

Cheers,
Ned

--