Re: select count() out of memory - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Thomas Finneid
Subject Re: select count() out of memory
Date
List pgsql-general

Adrian Klaver wrote:
> I'm thinking do a COPY to one large table.  If the cost of indexing is relatively fixed as
> you indicated in your previous post then you reduce the indexing overhead to each
> COPY operation instead of each insert.

No, what I meant whas that creating an index on a table with data after
the data has been COPYed, is faster than having one large table with an
existing index where data is added all the time and the index is
updatesd along with that.

I did do a performance test some time ago on that or something similar,
I dont remember the exact details, but what ever I tested it was slower.
But I will try exactly what you suggested tomorrow, when at the test
machine. The issue is it has to runn for some time before it is possible
to see any lasting degradation in performance.

thomas