Re: pg_restore - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Adrian Klaver
Subject Re: pg_restore
Date
List pgsql-general
On Sunday 28 October 2007 11:32 am, Bob Pawley wrote:
> Please help.
>
> I am attempting to restore a database into PostgreSQL version 8.2 running
> on Win XP Professional.
>
> From the 'bin' folder, I am using the command line-
> pg_restore psql -h localhost -d PDW -U postgres -f aurel.sql

Try  pg_restore psql -h localhost -d PDW -U postgres  aurel.sql
No -f switch

> I get an error -
>
> pg_restore: cannot specify both -d and -f output.
>
> If the error message is correct how does pg_restore know what to put where?

The -d switch tells pg_restore to the named database. The -f switch tells it
to restore to named file. It won't do both.

> I used the same command to successfully install the same pg_dump file into
> PostgreSQL 8.1 running on the same computer.

Maybe 8.1 ignored the error.

--
Adrian Klaver
aklaver@comcast.net