Re: [SQL NOTIFY Help] sending NOTIFY to the external program - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From
Subject Re: [SQL NOTIFY Help] sending NOTIFY to the external program
Date
List pgsql-sql
Hi Richard Huxton,
Thank you for your kind response.
Is there not any other way other than record the pkey in a
"process_these" table and have the application check there.    We want
to minimise the database transactions to improve the DB performance.
Can we send the exact data which has been changed using
db-notify to the application?   So that, the application can continue
processing the data using the Notify message from the DB.

Thanks in Advance,
Ramachandra B.S.

-----Original Message-----
From: Richard Huxton [mailto:dev@archonet.com]
Sent: Wednesday, January 03, 2007 3:53 PM
To: Ramachandra Bhaskaram (WT01 - IP-Multimedia Carrier & Ent Networks)
Cc: pgsql-sql@postgresql.org
Subject: Re: [SQL] [SQL NOTIFY Help] sending NOTIFY to the external
program

ramachandra.bhaskaram@wipro.com wrote:
> Hi,
>
>     In one of our project we are supposed to send the notifications
> regarding any row modifications in a perticular table to the external
> application which will be implementing the listen event for the same.
> We are using the postgress version 8.0.3.

>     Can anybody clarify whether we can pass the primary key value of
the
> record modified in the extra attribute of this structure?

Afraid not. You'll need to record the pkey in a "process_these" table
and have the application check there.

--   Richard Huxton  Archonet Ltd

The information contained in this electronic message and any attachments to this message are intended for the exclusive
useof the addressee(s) and may contain proprietary, confidential or privileged information. If you are not the intended
recipient,you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail. Please notify the sender immediately and destroy
allcopies of this message and any attachments.

WARNING: Computer viruses can be transmitted via email. The recipient should check this email and any attachments for
thepresence of viruses. The company accepts no liability for any damage caused by any virus transmitted by this email.
www.wipro.com