Re: [SQL NOTIFY Help] sending NOTIFY to the external program - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Richard Huxton
Subject Re: [SQL NOTIFY Help] sending NOTIFY to the external program
Date
List pgsql-sql
ramachandra.bhaskaram@wipro.com wrote:
> Hi Richard Huxton,
>
>     Thank you for your kind response.
>
>     Is there not any other way other than record the pkey in a
> "process_these" table and have the application check there.    We want
> to minimise the database transactions to improve the DB performance.
>
>     Can we send the exact data which has been changed using
> db-notify to the application?   So that, the application can continue
> processing the data using the Notify message from the DB.

Not via your database connection.

With one of the untrusted languages (C, pl/perlu pl/pythonu etc) you
could do anything you could make a separate connection / write to a file  etc.

Does your application need to know *immediately* that a change in the
database has occurred?

--   Richard Huxton  Archonet Ltd