Re: moving from contrib to bin - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: moving from contrib to bin
Date
Re: moving from contrib to bin  (Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net>)
List pgsql-hackers
Christoph Berg <cb@df7cb.de> writes:
> However, for PostgreSQL this means lengthy debian/*.install files
> (the equivalent of %files in rpm spec speak):

Right ...

> If there were separate "install-client", "install-server", and
> "install-contrib" targets, that would probably shorten those files
> quite a bit. Especially messy is the part where *.so needs to be
> sorted into server/contrib, along with an similar large bunch of
> binaries.

Pardon me for not knowing much about Debian packages, but how would
that work exactly?  Is it possible to do make install-client, then
package the installed files, then rm -rf the install tree, then
repeat for install-server and install-contrib?  In the RPM world
this would never work because the build/install step happens in
toto before the packaging step.  Even without that, it seems like
it'd be hard to make it entirely automatic since some files would
be installed in multiple cases (and directories even more so).