Re: moving from contrib to bin - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: moving from contrib to bin
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 12/12/14 3:20 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
> Pardon me for not knowing much about Debian packages, but how would
> that work exactly?  Is it possible to do make install-client, then
> package the installed files, then rm -rf the install tree, then
> repeat for install-server and install-contrib?  In the RPM world
> this would never work because the build/install step happens in
> toto before the packaging step.

I don't know exactly what Christoph had in mind, but the short answer to
your question is: Yes, that is possible.  Almost anything is possible.
There are many tools available at various levels of abstraction that
facility common patterns, but you can also do everything by hand, as
long as you produce the right *.deb files at the right location at the
end.  The only thing stopping you is your sanity.

However, other packaging systems clearly don't work that way, and so
designing something that would only work for one packaging system
doesn't seem worthwhile.  And we don't even know whether and how it
would work anyway.