Re: Mail setup broken (still/again?) - Mailing list pgsql-www

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: Mail setup broken (still/again?)
Date
List pgsql-www
Marc G. Fournier wrote:

> --On Tuesday, October 16, 2007 10:07:50 -0400 Andrew Sullivan
> <ajs@crankycanuck.ca> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Oct 16, 2007 at 10:52:09AM +0200, Magnus Hagander wrote:
>>> 1) Tries to deliver to svr1.postgresql.org. This machine response that the
>>> user is unknown, *but does so with a 450 error code indicating that this
>>> is a temporary error*. This is of course wrong, it should be responding
>>> with 550.
>> This does appear to be an error.
>
> Changed ... postfix's default is 550, but we had:

Great.

> Funny thing is, looking on google, this isn't that particularly unusual:
<snip>
Yeah, IIRC there was a recommendation when this feature was added to
postfix that you do this. And it is a good recommendation - you just
have to remember to switch it back to 550 when you've tested :-) (yes,
I've forgotten that on my servers as well a couple of times)

>> Nit: it's not an alias; if it were (i.e. a CNAME or probably a
>> DNAME), it would be an error, because MX records can't point to
>> CNAMEs.  It's just another name for the same address, which is
>> perfectly acceptable.  It does seem a little baroque.
>
> Fixed, now MX 0 == mail.postgresql.org, also an A record ...

Good.

>>> 2c) mx3 is then *graylisted* by svr1. A backup MX must *NOT* be graylisted
>>> by the primary machine. I know I have mentioned this several times before
>>> wrt other machines.
>> Absolutely.
>
> Fixed ... I had missed the mx3 IP in the mynetworks file on postgresql.org ...
> the other 3 mx servers should never have been affected, only the offsite one ...

Ah, that's why it reappeared.

Thanks for the quick fixes!

//Magnus