Re: Mail setup broken (still/again?) - Mailing list pgsql-www

From Marc G. Fournier
Subject Re: Mail setup broken (still/again?)
Date
List pgsql-www

- --On Tuesday, October 16, 2007 10:07:50 -0400 Andrew Sullivan
<ajs@crankycanuck.ca> wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 16, 2007 at 10:52:09AM +0200, Magnus Hagander wrote:
>> 1) Tries to deliver to svr1.postgresql.org. This machine response that the
>> user is unknown, *but does so with a 450 error code indicating that this
>> is a temporary error*. This is of course wrong, it should be responding
>> with 550.
>
> This does appear to be an error.

Changed ... postfix's default is 550, but we had:

unknown_local_recipient_reject_code = 450

Funny thing is, looking on google, this isn't that particularly unusual:

"On my Fedora Core box the following settings and comments were in
main.cf

# The default setting is 550 (reject mail) but it is safer to start
# with 450 (try again later) until you are certain that your
# local_recipient_maps settings are OK.
#
#unknown_local_recipient_reject_code = 550
unknown_local_recipient_reject_code = 450"- <http://www.webservertalk.com/message1926259.html>

I suspect that that is what I did when I set things up originally, went with
the 'safter to start with 450', but didn't go back and change it to 550 ...

> Nit: it's not an alias; if it were (i.e. a CNAME or probably a
> DNAME), it would be an error, because MX records can't point to
> CNAMEs.  It's just another name for the same address, which is
> perfectly acceptable.  It does seem a little baroque.

Fixed, now MX 0 == mail.postgresql.org, also an A record ...

>> 2c) mx3 is then *graylisted* by svr1. A backup MX must *NOT* be graylisted
>> by the primary machine. I know I have mentioned this several times before
>> wrt other machines.
>
> Absolutely.

Fixed ... I had missed the mx3 IP in the mynetworks file on postgresql.org ...
the other 3 mx servers should never have been affected, only the offsite one ...

- ----