Re: Concerns about this release - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Concerns about this release
Date
List pgsql-hackers
"Mitch Vincent" <mitch@doot.org> writes:
> So if anyone doesn't mind to take a minute, could I get opinions? Is it too
> paranoid to not use the 7.2 release in production?

Don is working from the "don't be a pioneer" theory, which is hard to
dispute in the abstract.  In the concrete, though, I see little reason
to think that 7.2 will be less reliable than 7.1.*, even before we fix
the inevitable early-return bugs and issue a 7.2.1.  We have not made
any huge changes like WAL in this cycle.

As an idle exercise, I just went through the CVS log entries since
7.2beta2 (Nov 6, about six weeks ago).  I counted 68 log entries that
I could classify as bug fixes; of these, 47 were for bugs that exist in
7.1, the other 21 for new bugs introduced in 7.2 code.  I'd call about
4 of the old bugs and 6 of the new ones significant issues (eg, a core
dump is significant, fixing to_char's handling of roman numeral dates
is not).  4 out of the 6 significant new-bug fixes were in the first two
weeks of the six-week period.

You can read those numbers however you want, but to me they look like
7.2.0 will be better than 7.1.anything.