Re: ecpg thread-safe descriptor - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: ecpg thread-safe descriptor
Date
List pgsql-patches
Michael Meskes wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 02, 2007 at 08:22:21PM +0200, Magnus Hagander wrote:
>> There are two problems:
>> 1) DllMain breaks the build *completely*. This is the really urgent one.
>> This one broke 2 days ago or so.
>>
>> 2) Regression tests don't pass on MSVC anymore. This broke a while ago.
>> I was working on fixing this, but now that the build is broken there
>> isn't much I can do until that's fixed.
>
> When did they break? I'm still confused. Did we run regression tests at
> all before? Or did they never work and we just didn't notice because the
> buildfarm didn't run them?

I ran them manually, but then I thought the buildfarm did so I didn't
bother doing it. Turned out I was wrong and it didn't, so we missed the
breakage for a while.

They were broken during the major update. I think it's as simple as
changing the way ecpg is called (that was the first problem at least),
so it's probably an easy fix.

>> Also, see
>> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2007-10/msg00006.php for
>> another comment on this. This changes more than just the threading
>> stuff, but if it's something we want then this is a good time to do it.
>
> So, does an explicit export list help? If so I'm all for it. There is no
> need to export all symbols. I always tried to keep the number of symbols
> that get exported but are not needed low. So this will give the best
> result possible.

Yeah, it does seem to fix it.

Can you put together explicit-export-list for the Unix case, using the
way libpq does it (using an exports.txt file, and then the same Makefile
rules as libpq uses). Once that's done I can deal with the MSVC part of
that, but since I don't know exactly which symbols need to be exported...

//Magnus