Re: Question regarding autovacuum - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Karl Denninger
Subject Re: Question regarding autovacuum
Date
List pgsql-general
Steve Crawford wrote:
Karl Denninger wrote:

Are your FSM settings enough to keep track of the dead space you have?

I don't know.  How do I check?
vacuum verbose;

Toward the bottom you will see something like:
1200 page slots are required to track all free space.
Current limits are:  453600 page slots, 1000 relations, using 2723 kB.

Make sure your current limits have a higher number than the page slots
required.

Cheers,
Steve

Am I correct in that this number will GROW over time?  Or is what I see right now (with everything running ok) all that the system
will ever need?

If the latter, then I'm WELL within limits and I guess I need to tune the autovacuum parameters to be more aggressive; system views show it IS being run.

INFO:  free space map contains 5895 pages in 639 relations
DETAIL:  A total of 14976 page slots are in use (including overhead).
14976 page slots are required to track all free space.
Current limits are:  179200 page slots, 1000 relations, using 1115 kB.

-- Karl Denninger