Re: sleep function - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From John DeSoi
Subject Re: sleep function
Date
List pgsql-sql
On Aug 10, 2004, at 10:57 AM, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> I can't think of one, no.  I think you will have to use one of the
> server-side languages and call a sleep in there.

This is no good in the real world since it pounds the CPU, but it
worked well enough for my testing purposes.

Best,

John DeSoi, Ph.D.

create or replace function sleep (integer) returns time as 'declare    seconds alias for $1;    later time;    thetime
time;begin   thetime := timeofday()::timestamp;    later := thetime + (seconds::text || '' seconds'')::interval;
loop       if thetime >= later then            exit;        else            thetime := timeofday()::timestamp;
endif;    end loop;

    return later;end;
' language plpgsql;