Re: The naming question WAS: Theme of this release: Performance? - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Stefan Kaltenbrunner
Subject Re: The naming question WAS: Theme of this release: Performance?
Date
Re: The naming question WAS: Theme of this release: Performance?  (Ron Peterson <ron.peterson@yellowbank.com>)
Re: The naming question WAS: Theme of this release: Performance?  (Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume@lelarge.info>)
List pgsql-advocacy
Josh Berkus wrote:
> All,
>
>> It is still the case that changing the name would involve a lot of tedious
>> effort and hunting down references.  Also, we don't have nearly as good
>> control of the various postgres.* domains as we do of postgresql.*.
>> (notably, postgres.net belongs to some unknown individual who refuses to
>> sell it to me).
>
> Update on this; Aaron got in touch with me and I think we can work something
> out *if* we decide to change the name.

there is not only postgres.net but country level domains and stuff all
over the place ...

I don't think that name change is buying us anything except _TONS_ of
work for us and other projects (like distributions) and no real gain (I
for myself find neither postgresql nor postgres and more or less
difficult to spell). Imho that makes about as much sense as discussing
if we should use an african or an asian elephant as the logo because
someone finds the smaller/larger ears are nicer to look at ...

Stefan