Re: Installing PostgreSQL - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Richard Huxton
Subject Re: Installing PostgreSQL
Date
List pgsql-performance
Campbell, Lance wrote:
> Should installation questions be sent here or to the admin listserv?

Probably the pgsql-general/admin/novice lists

> OS: redhat linux

RHES?

> Version of PostgreSQL: 8.2.4

OK

> I had a group that now manages our server set up a directory/partition
> for us to put postgreSQL into.  The directory is called pgsql_data.  The
> directory is more than a regular directory.  It contains a subdirectory
> called "lost+found".  I would assume this is a logical partition.

No - if you get filesystem corruption any recovered disk-blocks are put
into files here. All your disk partitions will have such a directory.

> tried installing postgreSQL directly into this directory but it failed
> since there is a file in this directory, "lost+found".  Is there a way
> around this?  Worst case scenario I will create a subdirectory called
> data and put the install in there.

That's what you want to do. Apart from anything else it lets you set
ownership & permission of the directory.

 >  I would have preferred to put it
> directly into the pgsql_data.  There would be no other files that would
> have gone into the directory/partition other than postgreSQL.  Would it
> be possible for me to install postgreSQL into a sub directory of
> pgsql_data and then move the files up a directory into pgsql_data?

Just symlink your directory to the correct place if that's what you want.

Partition at: /mnt/pg_disk
Directory is: /mnt/pg_disk/data
symlink to:   /var/db/data

--