Installing PostgreSQL - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Campbell, Lance
Subject Installing PostgreSQL
Date
Re: Installing PostgreSQL
List pgsql-performance

Should installation questions be sent here or to the admin listserv?

OS: redhat linux

Version of PostgreSQL: 8.2.4

I had a group that now manages our server set up a directory/partition for us to put postgreSQL into.  The directory is called pgsql_data.  The directory is more than a regular directory.  It contains a subdirectory called “lost+found”.  I would assume this is a logical partition.  I tried installing postgreSQL directly into this directory but it failed since there is a file in this directory, “lost+found”.  Is there a way around this?  Worst case scenario I will create a subdirectory called data and put the install in there.  I would have preferred to put it directly into the pgsql_data.  There would be no other files that would have gone into the directory/partition other than postgreSQL.  Would it be possible for me to install postgreSQL into a sub directory of pgsql_data and then move the files up a directory into pgsql_data?

Thanks,

Lance Campbell

Project Manager/Software Architect

Web Services at Public Affairs