Re: Question on INDEX and SQL - stalling my database? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Richard Huxton
Subject Re: Question on INDEX and SQL - stalling my database?
Date
List pgsql-general
Rishi Daryanani wrote:
> I'm having problems with a query that's just
> "stalling" my database. If someone could help me out -
> I posted a forum topic on
> http://forums.devshed.com/postgresql-help-21/postgresql-new-index-pros-and-cons-467120.html

Did you get any advice from that forum? Was it helpful?

> There's just this one integer field, which when
> searched on, "stalls" my query and I don't get any
> results. I tried adding an index to that integer, but
> that didn't seem to help..

Don't get any results? Ever? If so, adding an index wouldn't help.

What you'll need to supply is:
1. The query
2. Details of the table(s) - number of rows, number of distinct values
in columns being matched against
3. Output of EXPLAIN ANALYZE for your query
4. A couple of details of your server (RAM, number of disks, processors etc)

I'm sure someone here will be able to help then.

--
   Richard Huxton
   Archonet Ltd