Re: v8.2 ... command line interface on Windows - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: v8.2 ... command line interface on Windows
Date
Re: v8.2 ... command line interface on Windows  (nac1967 <neil.chriss@gmail.com>)
Re: v8.2 ... command line interface on Windows  ("Bill Bartlett" <bbartlett@softwareanalytics.com>)
List pgsql-general
nac1967 wrote:
> I am a PostgreSQL user, using the native windows version 8.2. I am new
> to PostgreSQL and am wondering if other users have suggestions
> regarding command line interfaces. I cannot for the life of me get
> readline to work on the Windows version. If you use IPython, for
> example, readline works fantastically with smart ctrl-P search of
> previous commands and tab completion. Does anyone know of a way either
> to get readline to work or another good command line interface?

Readline only works with US keyboard layouts under native windows,
that's why it's been turned off in the binary builds. You are left with
the very limited commandline editing in the default windows command shell.

If you are using only US keyboard layout, you can rebuild psql from
source (using the MingW build system) with readline. You only need to
rebuild psql - not libpq or the backend itself.

//Magnus