Re: v8.2 ... command line interface on Windows - Mailing list pgsql-general

From nac1967
Subject Re: v8.2 ... command line interface on Windows
Date
List pgsql-general
On Aug 4, 3:08 pm, mag...@hagander.net (Magnus Hagander) wrote:
> nac1967 wrote:
> > I am a PostgreSQL user, using the native windows version 8.2. I am new
> > to PostgreSQL and am wondering if other users have suggestions
> > regarding command line interfaces. I cannot for the life of me get
> > readline to work on the Windows version. If you use IPython, for
> > example, readline works fantastically with smart ctrl-P search of
> > previous commands and tab completion. Does anyone know of a way either
> > to get readline to work or another good command line interface?
>
> Readline only works with US keyboard layouts under native windows,
> that's why it's been turned off in the binary builds. You are left with
> the very limited commandline editing in the default windows command shell.
>
> If you are using only US keyboard layout, you can rebuild psql from
> source (using the MingW build system) with readline. You only need to
> rebuild psql - not libpq or the backend itself.
>
> //Magnus

Regarding the faq, I did do a google search site on various
permutations including the word readline but nothing of use turned up.
I assumed that not many people had interest. I think it is a shame as
I find in e.g., Python having the unix like shell capabilities to be a
huge productivity enhancer. Someone replied separately that you can
use just psql via cygwin to achieve the same result and this seems as
if it might be easier. Any thoughts?