Re: Database synchronization - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Richard Huxton
Subject Re: Database synchronization
Date
List pgsql-sql
Try not to start a new thread (question) by replying to an old one - it
can mean some people don't see your question.

Jyoti Seth wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have two postgres databases "Db1" and "Db2" on different linux servers.
> "DB1" is my master server and its data updates very frequently.
>
> My application access DB2 database, which in turn requires data from Db1
> database.

OK

> The same can be achieved in either of the following ways:
> 1. I can have the same tables from Db1 in the Db2 database and use some
> replication process to update these tables say using Slony-I. And then our
> application accesses the data from the single database.

Yes

> 2. Or I can use dblink to fetch the data from the master database only.

Yes

also:

3. Write a layer in your application / between the application &
database which routes queries to the correct database.

> My problem is my master database changes frequently and I always require the
> latest information.

Well, if by "latest" you mean you can't have any delay at all you'll
have to use #2 or #3.

However, that could be slow if you need to join a lot of data from DB1
to DB2. Can you provide more details of what each contains?

--   Richard Huxton  Archonet Ltd