Re: [GENERAL] Should SERIAL column have MAXVAL set on sequence - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Zoltan Boszormenyi
Subject Re: [GENERAL] Should SERIAL column have MAXVAL set on sequence
Date
List pgsql-bugs
Jim Nasby =EDrta:
> Moving to -bugs.
>
> On Jul 23, 2007, at 9:02 AM, Woody Woodring wrote:
>> I have a table in our DB that functions as a queue with a SERIAL=20
>> column for
>> its primary key.  At 4am this weekend I started getting the error:
>>
>> ERROR:  integer out of range
>>
>> Which was attributed to the sequence incrementing past the size of=20
>> the int4
>> serial column after several years of operation.
>>
>> I was able to set the sequence back to 1 and everything was happy.
>>
>> I was wondering if the SERIAL column should set the MAXVAL=3D2147483647=
=20
>> when
>> it creates the sequence?
>>
>> I ended up fixing my queue table with the following to avoid the=20
>> issue in
>> the future:
>>
>> ALTER SEQUENCE transfer_transferid_seq MAXVALUE 2147483647 CYCLE;

Did you already delete old records? Otherwise it will create duplicate=20
IDs...
Alternatively you can alter the field to be BIGINT.

> I can confirm this is still the case in HEAD:
>
> decibel=3D# select max_value from s_s_seq ;
>       max_value
> ---------------------
> 9223372036854775807
> (1 row)
>
> This does seem like a bug...

No, it is by design. Nothing is stopping you from altering your sequence
after creating your table with SERIALs. Anyway, [BIG]SERIAL is just
a "macro" in PostgreSQL. BTW sequences were modified to produce
BIGINT values some releases back.

> --=20
> Jim Nasby                                            jim@nasby.net
> EnterpriseDB      http://enterprisedb.com      512.569.9461 (cell)