Re: RULE regression test fragility? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: RULE regression test fragility?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> On Sat, Oct 26, 2013 at 12:02 PM, Andres Freund <andres@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
>> Imo what it does looks sane - it adds parentheses whenever a child of a
>> set operation is a set operation again to make sure the order in which
>> the generated set operations are parsed/interpreted stays the same.

> But UNION ALL is associative.

In theory, yeah.

In practice, this could for example affect the parser's choices of
column datatypes for the UNION result.  We could perhaps side-step
that by forcing datatype labeling in the UNION arms, but I'm not
prepared to bet that ruleutils' output would be right if we just
summarily removed the parentheses.