Re: Informix Schema -> PostgreSQL ? - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Scott Marlowe
Subject Re: Informix Schema -> PostgreSQL ?
Date
List pgsql-sql
Mark Fenbers wrote:
> I am an ex-Informix convert.  Informix used the term "schema" to refer
> to the SQL-format definition of how a table or view was created.
> E.g., CREATE TABLE john ( char(8) lid, ...);  Some views we have are
> quite complex (and not created by me) and I want to create a similar
> one in Pg.  If I could see the view in this SQL format, then I could
> use SQL to create another one using this as a template.
>
> pgadmin3 can show this definition in SQL format, but I can't use
> pgadmin3 on a certain box.  How can I show information in Pg (psql)
> the way that Informix would show a schema?
>
> BTW, what does PostgreSQL call this (what Informix calls a schema)??
Oddly enough, it's the same thing.  There's schema, the object, which
holds related objects inside it.  databases contain schemas which
contain tables, indexes, etc...

Then there's schema, as a definition of how something it put together.
Confusing, I know.

The easiest way to view the sql format definition of a view is the use
the pg_views view...

select * from pg_views where viewname='nameofview';

You can get the same thing with pg_dump:

pg_dump dbname -s -t tableorindexname