Fwd: Survey: renaming/removing script binaries (createdb, createuser...) - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Joey K.
Subject Fwd: Survey: renaming/removing script binaries (createdb, createuser...)
Date
List pgsql-general

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Joey K. <pguser@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 9:42 AM
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] Survey: renaming/removing script binaries (createdb, createuser...)
To: Zdeněk Kotala <Zdenek.Kotala@sun.com>

Please let us know your meaning,

               thanks Zdenek Kotala

1) What type of names do you prefer?
-------------------------------

a) old notation - createdb, createuser ...
b) new one with pg_ prefix - pg_createdb, pg_creteuser ...
c) new one with pg prefix - pgcreatedb, pgcreateuser ...
d) remove them - psql is the solution
e) remove them - pgadmin is the solution

[b]

2) How often do you use these tools?
-----------------------------------

a) every day (e.g. in my cron)
b) one per week
c) one time
d) never

[a]
In cron
from commandline.
in shell scripts

3) What name of initdb do you prefer?
---------- --------------------------

a) initdb
b) pg_initdb
c) pg_init
d) pg_ctl -d <dir> init  (replace initdb with pg_ctl new functionality)
e) What is initdb? My start/stop script does it automatically.

[c]

4) How do you perform VACUUM?
-----------------------------

a) vacuumdb - shell command
b) VACUUM - SQL command
c) autovacuum
d) What is vacuum?

[a], [b] and [c]
Depending on the situation. For example ifcustomers complain, we manually do cia SQL.

If this is a consistent problem, we usr cron for vacuumdb.

If the database is not too loaded and supports autovacuum, we also have autovacuum enabled.

We'd like to keep vacuumdb but maybe pg_vacuumdb?

Hope this helps.

Joey