Re: Multiple customers sharing one database? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Ron Johnson
Subject Re: Multiple customers sharing one database?
Date
List pgsql-general
On 06/03/07 12:45, Lew wrote:
[snip]

> I am always confused by the overloaded term "database" in such
> discussions. Do we mean the RDBMS engine, i.e., run separate instances
> of PG?  I sure would recommend against that.  Or do we mean it as the PG
> documentation does, e.g.,
> <http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/interactive/ddl-schemas.html>

A (relational) database is a database, and an RDBMS is what
manipulates that (relational) database.

"The" schema "defines" the database.  "A" schema defines a specific
logical sub-set of "the" schema.

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA  USA