Re: High-availability - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Madison Kelly
Subject Re: High-availability
Date
List pgsql-general
Lew wrote:
> Madison Kelly wrote:
>>   Being a quite small company, proprietary hardware and fancy software
>> licenses are not possible (ie: 'use oracle' won't help).
>
> How much data do you put in the DB?  Oracle has a free version, but it
> has size limits.
>
> (Ducking the slings and arrows of outraged PG fans: I prefer Postgre, I
> really do.)

   Hrm, it's hard to say as we're (hoping!) to grow. At the moment, a
few hundred megs. If the company gets off the ground, possibly much
more. also, we've got a few (dozen or so) side projects that each have
their own DBs.

   I think the risk of running into a barrier like a size limit would be
too much. Even if we get off the ground, the storage needs of the DB
will outgrow our revenue. I'd hate to be in a position where I am
dependent on a (potentially) very expensive invoice while we are still
running on a shoe-string.

   Thanks for the suggestion though! I will poke at the free/trial
version and, if I am unable to load-balance pgSQL and we run into
performance problems, I will have a better idea of what options I have
(ie: bigger iron vs. an oracle license).

   Thanks!

Madi