Re: Slightly OT. - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Joshua D. Drake
Subject Re: Slightly OT.
Date
List pgsql-general
Dave Page wrote:
> Alexander Staubo wrote:
>> [snip]
>>> I could be completely cranked but I believe that product is based on
>>> PgCluster which is horrendously slow.
>> Well, dang, that's disappointing. Last I checked, the PGCluster design
>> was fundamentally unscalable.
>
> Multimaster replication generally is - thats why Slony-2 will almost
> certainly never exist in the form that it was originally imagined.
> Although I'm not (and never have been) an Oracle user, I've heard that
> RAC has it's own issues in this area as well.

IMO, the future is application partitioning, not multi-master.

Also, what I find interesting here is that PostgreSQL on modest hardware
does excessively well.

I have a client right now that is running an 8 core, 16 gig box with
only 14 spindles.

They are processing 6ktps and it takes 14 tomcat servers to bring the
database down.

Any multi-master solution is going to fall over well before 6ktps.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

P.S. I should note that we are working toward more than 6ktps and will
report back ;)

              http://www.commandprompt.com/