Re: psql patch - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: psql patch
Date
Re: psql patch  ("Jeroen T. Vermeulen" <jtv@xs4all.nl>)
List pgsql-patches
"Jeroen T. Vermeulen" <jtv@xs4all.nl> writes:
> However I just took a look at the docs for readline and apparently it
> was designed with select() in mind.  So it should be possible to
> implement this without any cost to scalability: the server doesn't
> care if the frontend is listening when it sends out the notification,
> and the frontend can sleep until either a notification or a keypress
> arrives.

Cool; if you can do it that way then the wasted-cycles objection is
gone.  (I don't think it would have been very interesting to implement
the functionality only in the no-readline case, 'cuz just about everyone
seems to use readline builds.)

            regards, tom lane