Re: semicolon not required on END statement - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: semicolon not required on END statement
Date
List pgsql-bugs
Neil Conway <neilc@samurai.com> writes:
> On Fri, 2004-10-01 at 01:11, Hussein Patni wrote:
>> I noticed in plpgsql that a semi colon is not always requiredafter
>> the END statement.

> Yeah, I've noticed this as well (although it doesn't appear to be
> documented). Would we gain anything by enforcing this restriction? IMHO
> not a lot...

We specifically do not require a semicolon at the very end of the
function definition.  My recollection is that the plpgsql grammar did
originally enforce that, and we relaxed it because it confused people.
You have to admit that
is a bit odd-looking.

            regards, tom lane