Query RE using COPY - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Paul Lambert
Subject Query RE using COPY
Date
List pgsql-sql
I use the COPY command to load data from a file into tables in my database.

The following is an example done in psql:COPY deals_temp_load FROM 'c:/temp/autodrs_deals.txt' WITH DELIMITER AS
'^' QUOTE '\f' CSV HEADER;

If a column is added to the table but has not been added to the extracts
which create the autodrs_deals.txt file, this errors thusly:
ERROR:  missing data for column "location"
CONTEXT:  COPY deals_temp_load, line 2: "line containing data removed
for confidentiality - suffice to say it does not contain the 'location'
column"

Is there any way of telling it to ignore columns that have not been
specified in the file used to load? I have tried giving the column a
default value but I still get the error. The column in this case
'location' is a nullable column and does not always have data (yes, bad
design for a database, but we'll skip that point for now) thus I am not
concerned if the load procedure doesn't supply it.

BTW, this is done on Weendoze.

Thanks,
Paul.

--