Re: How does server handle clients that disconnect ungracefully? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Richard Huxton
Subject Re: How does server handle clients that disconnect ungracefully?
Date
List pgsql-general
Jeff Lanzarotta wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am writing an application that reads information from my PostgreSQL
> database. If I cause the program to crash and the program ends without
> gracefully disconnecting from the database, there is an open connection
> still left in the database.
>
> How does the PostgreSQL server handle clients that disconnect
> ungracefully? Will the server automatically clean up this connection
> that really is not there?

Worst case is that the tcp/ip connection is never cleared down. That
means the connection will sit there until your tcp/ip stack clears it
down. I *think* that's an hour on linux.

--
   Richard Huxton
   Archonet Ltd