ERROR: Failed to build any 5-way joins - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Raymond O'Donnell
Subject ERROR: Failed to build any 5-way joins
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi all,

I've just run into the above error (with the additional message "SQL
state XX000"). I see from the following thread from 2003 -

   http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-sql/2003-12/msg00111.php

- that at the time it was considered a bug. I'm wondering if it was
fixed, or am I doing something silly? I'm on 8.2.3 on WinXP.

I can supply the schema and some sample data if people would like to see
them, but the short version is that I'm trying to do a LEFT JOIN between
two views, each of which has further joins within it, both inner and
outer (two in one view, three in the other).

Funny thing is, when I change the join (between the views) either to an
INNER JOIN or a RIGHT JOIN, the query works - it only goes belly-up when
I try a LEFT JOIN.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Ray.

rod@iol.ie