Re: Problem compiling PostgreSQL 8.2.3 on RedHat Enterprise Server 2.1? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Bjørn T Johansen
Subject Re: Problem compiling PostgreSQL 8.2.3 on RedHat Enterprise Server 2.1?
Date
List pgsql-general
On Sat, 21 Apr 2007 12:01:46 -0400
Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:

> =?UTF-8?Q?Bj=C3=B8rn?= T Johansen <btj@havleik.no> writes:
> > When I try to compile I get the following error...:
> > /usr/bin/ld:exports.list:1: parse error in VERSION script
> > collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> > make[3]: *** [libpq.so.5.0] Error 1
>
> That ancient version of ld doesn't understand version scripts of the
> syntax used today.  You could figure out what syntax it does understand
> and then tweak src/interfaces/libpq/Makefile to generate the right thing.
> Or you could just rip out this whole conditional section and not bother
> with restricting symbol visibility:
>
> ifeq ($(PORTNAME), linux)
> $(shlib): exports.list
>
> exports.list: exports.txt
>     echo '{ global:' >$@
>     $(AWK) '/^[^#]/ {printf "%s;\n",$$1}' $< >>$@
>     echo ' local: *; };' >>$@
>
> exported_symbols_list = -Wl,--version-script=exports.list
> endif
>
> I'm a bit curious though why you want to run a modern version of
> Postgres on such an ancient platform ... newer Linuxen are a *whole*
> lot better than AS2.1.
>
>             regards, tom lane

This is because the server is running a webapp that was installed 4-5 years ago and we have now rewritten the webapp
usingmore
modern frameworks, etc and just installed this new webapp in production. But since the server has been behaving really
well,we
did not see any reasons to do anything with the OS as well (at least before we tried to install PostgreSQL...)
But perhaps we should think about upgrading the OS as well....

BTJ