Re: Problem compiling PostgreSQL 8.2.3 on RedHat Enterprise Server 2.1? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Problem compiling PostgreSQL 8.2.3 on RedHat Enterprise Server 2.1?
Date
List pgsql-general
=?UTF-8?Q?Bj=C3=B8rn?= T Johansen <btj@havleik.no> writes:
> When I try to compile I get the following error...:
> /usr/bin/ld:exports.list:1: parse error in VERSION script
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> make[3]: *** [libpq.so.5.0] Error 1

That ancient version of ld doesn't understand version scripts of the
syntax used today.  You could figure out what syntax it does understand
and then tweak src/interfaces/libpq/Makefile to generate the right thing.
Or you could just rip out this whole conditional section and not bother
with restricting symbol visibility:

ifeq ($(PORTNAME), linux)
$(shlib): exports.list

exports.list: exports.txt
    echo '{ global:' >$@
    echo ' local: *; };' >>$@

exported_symbols_list = -Wl,--version-script=exports.list
endif

I'm a bit curious though why you want to run a modern version of
Postgres on such an ancient platform ... newer Linuxen are a *whole*
lot better than AS2.1.

            regards, tom lane